Every once in a while, it’s totally okay to indulge in something decadent! These Banana Beignets are perfect for that. They are fried dough (that’s what “beignet” means in French) and filled with bananas. They are really fast and easy to make. And while you can certainly have them for dessert, they are perfect for breakfast or brunch as well. Bananas are so versatile!
Here, they are garnished with confectioner’s sugar but the possibilities are endless. Try them drizzled with chocolate sauce, strawberry sauce, or even maple syrup. It’s up to you on how sweet you want them.
These Banana Beignets are not only vegan, but they are gluten-free. That should make you feel a little better about the fried part, right? Come on, work with me, people!
- 3 very ripe bananas
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/16 tsp. almond extract
- 1/3 cup raw brown sugar
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- ¾ tsp. baking powder
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- ¼ – ½ cup soy creamer (or non-dairy milk)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Organic Vegan powdered sugar, for garnish
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl. Add the almond and vanilla extracts. Add the sugar and mix well.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, nutmeg and cinnamon. Combine the banana mixture with
- the flour mixture. Mix well.
- Add the soy creamer, mixing, until the batter is smooth and thick. Use as much creamer as you need to get the consistency of waffle batter. Let the batter rest while you heat the oil.
- Heat 2 – 3 inches of oil in a large saucepan. If you are measuring the temperature, it should be 350 degrees (I just stick a wooden spoon into the pot and see if bubbles form around it).
- Using a spoon, drop heaping amounts of batter into the oil. Let cook until golden brown, turning to cook on all sides. When done, remove beignet from the oil and drain on paper towels or a cooling rack. Fry them in small batches so the oil stays hot. If the oil gets too hot, reduce the heat.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.