The sodium was too high so I’m going to make a few changes–getting rid of the broth will help. I’m just starting to think about how to make this for tomorrow. As with so many things I do, I changed lots of parts. I boiled just red quinoa. Then I threw garlic into a little olive oil for infusion, put in drained black beans, cumin and red pepper. Looked around the kitchen and tossed in garbanzo beans, red pepper, apple cider vinegar and cilantro. Yep. Almost a completely different dish, but yummy.
Recipes are for inspiration, right?
Here’s my version of the recipe. Red quinoa, garlic, 2 T olive oil, 1 red pepper, 1 can garbanzo,1 can black beans heated with cumin, lotsa cilantro, 1 carrot, kale lightly sauteed in lemon juice, cumin and spritz of oil.
Kale and Quinoa Salad with Black Beans
Raw kale is an acquired taste, so if you’re not a fan, try steaming the kale for a few minutes instead of massaging it.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed very well (I used a combo of red and white quinoa)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds or ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder (or other pure chile powder, not a blend)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chile powder, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste (optional)
- 4 – 6 cups chopped kale leaves (about 4-5 ounces)
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced or cubed (optional)
- additional lemon juice and seasonings, to taste
- Heat a saucepan. Add the rinsed and drained quinoa and the garlic and toast it until almost dry. Add the vegetable broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover. Simmer until all the water is absorbed, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- While the quinoa is cooking, make the dressing in a small bowl or measuring cup: whisk together the lemon juice, 3 tablespoons broth, chia/flax seeds, chile powders, cumin, and salt. Allow to stand until the chia seeds start to thicken the dressing.
- Place the kale in a large serving bowl. Add half of the dressing and massage it into the kale using a wringing motion until the kale is very tender. Two minutes of massaging should do it, but the longer, the better. Add the quinoa, black beans, carrot, and bell pepper, along with the remaining dressing. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Just before serving, check the seasoning and add more lemon juice, chile powder, cumin, and salt, as needed. Stir in chopped avocado, if desired, or serve with slices of avocado on the side.
Preparation time: 25 minute(s) | Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6. Makes about 8 cups.
Nutrition (per serving, no avocado): 206 calories, 22 calories from fat, 2.5g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 509.8mg sodium, 535.9mg potassium, 37.3g carbohydrates, 8.1g fiber, 1.3g sugar, 10.3g protein.
Nutrition (per serving, with avocado): 254 calories, 59 calories from fat, 6.9g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 512.1mg sodium, 682mg potassium, 39.8g carbohydrates, 10g fiber, 1.4g sugar, 10.9g protein.